Saturday, February 6, 2010

Happy Superbowl!

I've always loved football.
Although for a time, I guess it was more football players that I really loved.
Or maybe the football uniform. mmmm

Anyway, I've always loved football in some form.
My husband is from Denver and is a faithful Bronco's fan.  For the first few years of our marriage I was a tag-along Bronco's fan. But as I watched more and more games and learned something about the game, I actually began to form my own opinions about the players and the teams.
In 2006 The Saints hired Sean Payton as their head coach.
They also took Reggie Bush in the draft.  Oh...how I love Reggie.
Not only is he adorable, but he's a really great guy, too.  Check out his Wiki page and read about his charity.  Or don't - I guess he's my celebrity crush, not yours.
Anyway, The Saints also picked up Drew Brees from the Chargers in 2006.
By 2007 I was a Saints fan.

This year, they made it to the Superbowl.
(it's taking a lot of effort here for me to refrain from telling you why they are the best team in the NFL.)

I decided to make a sign for my front porch to show my support.

I kept my eyes peeled at the thrift store this week, looking for something that I could use as the base for my sign. I didn't want to spend the $8 that I usually pay at the wood store for a pretty board with routed egdes.
I found this.

I took the towel bar part off and puttied the holes.

Then I sanded it down and painted it with flat black spray paint.

When it was dry I used a fleur de lis stencil on one side.  Then I hand wrote "Go Saints!" with pencil, then went over it with gold paint. At the end I added another fleur with a foam stamp.
I lightly distressed the edges, drilled holes in the top two corners, and strung some wire through.

Then I hung it on the porch.

Now I'm almost ready for the Superbowl...
I just need to cook up some bacon-wrapped-cream-cheese-stuffed-jalepenos.
mmmmmm.

Go Saints!

6 comments:

Lori said...

Love it! We're so excited for tomorrow!

Jeanette said...

What a good job! Goooo Saints

Anonymous said...

VERY nice sign; wrong team. Go Colts!

Anny said...

I'm with Anonymous up there!

I like the Colts because they beat the Jets and I hate the Jets because they pre-empt The Office in my market. My interest in football is admittedly simple...

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Great sign! I know you are thrilled w/ the way the game turned out, too!

Embellished Bayou said...

I LOVE this! You did a great job, thanks for sharing the link with me in your comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails