Monday, March 1, 2010

Pretty, Simple Spring Wreath

I took down my Valentines wreath last week.
My door has been naked since then.

I never realized that I don't have anything for the front door for this time of year.
It's not really Spring yet - not here - but I am in full winter rebellion at this point. I needed something green and simple, so I started looking around.
Pottery Barn came to my rescue.

They sell this lovely moss covered wreath for $49.
It's currently on sale for just $39, but I still figured I could make it for less :)

The PB version is 18" in diameter. I bought the largest Styrofoam form the craft store had - it was only 16", but I figured that was close enough.

To start, I spray painted the form green.

Then I started hot gluing the moss on.  First to the front, then to the sides.



It was easiest to do the sides (both in and out) by standing the wreath on it's side.

When I had the form fully covered I took it out to the garage and sprayed it with spray adhesive, then I sprinkled some moss crumbs over it and patted it all around with my hands.
I hung it on my front door with a gold ribbon.


I love it. It's so sweet and simple and it was just a fraction of the PB price.
$5.00 for the wreath (used a 40% off coupon at Roberts)
$5.00 for the moss - I bought 2 packages at Wal Mart for $2.27 each, but I only used 1/2 of the second package, so the true cost was probably about $5, including tax.
The ribbon and hot glue were already in my stash.
$10 total - the perfect price to adorn my front door :)

Linking up!
Made it Monday at the Persimmon Perch
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative
DIY Day at ASPTL
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage

22 comments:

BAILEY said...

LOVE this!!!! I will be heading to the store today to make one. Thanks for the inspiration. I featured it on my blog too! :)

http://doehlerdays.blogspot.com/2010/03/mossy-wreath.html

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Looks great and simple too!

Megan Gunyan said...

That's very cute. I can't believe PB charges that much for such a simple wreath! Yours is much more appealing. ;)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Looks better than the store bought one! Great job!

Unknown said...

Ya done good chick!! :)

Kimberly said...

No way! I did this exact project last night! I'm not finished so I haven't uploaded any pictures, but I already love how it's turned out. Great minds... :)

Anny said...

Great job, it looks so green and ready for spring :)

Sylvia (at) Lily's Pad and Petals said...

Love this - the simplicity is perfect and also perfect for this time of year.
Might just have to make my own.

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Looks fab.u.lous!

Cami said...

I've been doing some moss covered balls in the last little while. I am going to have to make this wreath...love it!

The Little Red Shop said...

Your wreath is lovely!

: )

Happy March!

Julie M.

Unknown said...

I love it! I've been trying to figure out what to put on the door between now and spring time.

Gina said...

Nice! I've got an empty wreath form that I've been wondering about, that's a great fresh touch for spring!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

So simple and so stylish!!

Jacinda Vandenberg said...

cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I think I'll add your to my list-you have so many great ideas on here! I love your sense of creativity.

Kierstin said...

How do you keep it on your door? I see the ribbon going up the door and into the house, but how is it secured on the inside? I have a wreath I want to hang with some ribbon, but haven't figured out how to secure it! Your help would be appreciated. If you just post here a comment, I'll get an email. THANKS.

Leah J. said...

Fabulous! I just L-O-V-E your ideas! Most of my projects are inspired by PB:) but, I'm too cheep-o to buy things from there! I will be making this wreath today!!

Krista@RustikChic said...

Great job! I love moss and it looks so great on your door.

Stop by my blog, I have something for you. :)

http://thegatheringplacedesign.blogspot.com/2010/03/beautiful-blogger.html

Mandy said...

Kierstin,
I use a couple of upholstery tacks and hammer them through the ribbon into the top of my door. The Nester taught me how, and it works wonderfully. It's how I hang all my wreaths now!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy, Great tutorial, and I love the PB look for a whole lot less! Linked up from the spring wreath round up on www.CraftsnCoffee.com. Thanks for creating with STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Sharon

Related Posts with Thumbnails