Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Birthday Stuff

I know "Birthday Stuff" is an awful post title. I can't think of anything else!

August 1 was my son's 4th Birthday. His party was July 31. All last week I was busy with...well...Birthday Stuff!  Apologies for neglecting the blog. I'm back now, ready to share everything I was working on for my boy last week!

The Invitations
I purchased the card and the beach balls at a local scrapbooking store, then printed them at home. This is how I make most of my invitations. It's not much more expensive than buying the ready made ones and filling them in, and I love the custom look. These ones ended up costing less than a dollar each :)

The Favors
I love a theme, and I wanted to keep everything really summery - sun, water, sand. When I found these miniature sand buckets on clearance for .48 at Target I knew they were perfect.  I purchased mini water guns, water balloons and some splash balls at Dollartree and used a piece of teal tissue paper to fill up space. Each bucket cost about $1.00
Bucket $0.48
Splash Balls $0.25 (4/$1)
Water guns $0.16 (6/$1)
Water balloons $.04 (100/$1)
Tissue Paper $.06 (8 sheets for $1, 1/2 sheet per bucket)
Total $.99

I printed "Thanks 4 Coming to my Birthday Party" at home and matted it with cardstock.

The Cake
I found a Sun Cake on the Wilton website that I thought would work perfectly and managed to recreate it pretty well! I baked the cake in a large glass bowl rather than buying the soccer ball pan Wilton recommends. It turned out perfectly :)
I used this recipe from bakerella and made my own buttercream - my boys favorite :)

The Wardrobe
We rented a blow-up-waterslide for the party, so my wardrobe choices were limited to swim wear. I did make a custom "4" appliqué for the back of a polo shirt for my boy to wear during dinner, though.
If you haven't made your own appliqué yet, get going on that! They are easy and fun.
Just cut your design out of fabric and fusible web (like wonder under) and iron on. Then follow the outline with your sewing machine. There are machines with fancy embroidery type stitches that you can use especially for this type of thing, but if you don't have one of those you can use a regular sewing machine - I do! Sometimes I zig-sag stitch, sometimes I just sew a straight line. If you don't completely cover the edges of your fabric it will fray when you wash it, but depending on the design that can actually look really cute.
My son picked out his own fabric - bright green with skulls. I loved it.
I chose a font and printed a 4 off my computer for a pattern. Then I ironed it on and did a regular stitch around the outside. LOVE how it turned out - although he only wore it for about 10 minutes. I haven't washed it yet, but this is one that will fray, and I think it will be darling :)



So that's it for the party itself. There was one other Birthday project, a gift I "built" that I'll share tomorrow.

4 comments:

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

How cute!! You did a great job :) Happy birthday to the little guy!!

Unknown said...

We must be on the same wave length! I did a birthday shirt with the No. 4 on it for my daughter's birthday a few weeks ago and we also did the beach bucket goody bags. :)

Ken said...

The fridge part often has different compartments with different temperatures for dairy, vegetables and drinks You probably realize that there are better ways of being sure the water your family uses is clean and disease-free, but you may not know that there are whole-house water filtration systems that can clean all of the water entering your home. Several manufacturers have begun to introduce washers and dryers that have the steam features.

Anonymous said...

Pretty nicе post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wisheԁ to ѕаy thаt I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Here is my web blog - Red Kings Poker Offer

Related Posts with Thumbnails