Saturday, May 2, 2009

Desk Refinish

Tessa's room is almost finished!

One of the reasons I decided to go ahead and redecorate for her is that I really felt like she could use a desk in her bedroom.  She loves to draw pictures, write stories and play on her laptop.  I think she'd use a desk.
I've been looking for ages.  I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted, I knew where I wanted to place it, and I didn't want to spend much money.  It took a long time to find something that met all my criteria!

I found it, though, at a consignment shop downtown.  If you live in the area, check it out at 9th Avenue and K Street Downtown.  Cute little shop and the ladies that own it are darling.

They had the desk listed on Craigs List, and I called on it Friday morning to ask for the measurments.  She didn't have them then and asked me to call back, which I did Friday night.  By that time she'd had another offer.  I told her I'd pay her more if she'd sell it to me, and to talk to her other buyer to see if they'd match my offer and let me know.  I didn't expect to hear back from her, but she called me Saturday morning and said it was mine!
Tessa and I drove downtown and bought it that afternoon.  
We got the desk AND chair for $50!  

But wow, were they in need of some TLC (and refinishing!)

Here's the desk in it's raw state:
I (of course) forgot to take a picture of it until after I'd already removed the ugly brass hardware and had sanded off much of the 90's colored wood stain.  In short - there's already an improvement in this picture.

And here's the chair:
The cushion was disgusting - covered in 4 layers of filthy, hideous fabric.  I removed all the staples and threw ever bit of that fabric in the trash.  It should have been incinerated.  Gross.


Wait until you see the finished product!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails