Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Turquoise Chair <3

I picked this chair up at the thrift store some time ago.


I couldn't resist the medallion on the back.


Or the legs <3


Well, that, and the $3 price tag.
(for reals this time - this is not a price I made up!)

I really wanted to paint it heirloom white.
REALLY wanted to.  But my first instinct is to paint everything heirloom white, and I'm trying to fight it.  Some of the time, anyway.
So for the chair I went with turquoise.
I brushed it on inside the house - the same day I did the buffet, actually.  I just went back and forth between them and concentrated on not mixing the brushes up.

After it was dry I took it back out in the garage to distress it. Paint fumes are fine, but I don't need turquoise dust all over my house!
I covered the seat in canvas - left over from my drapes.
It wasn't my original plan for fabric, but I LOVE the way it turned out.

Then I whipped up this little pillow to sit in the chair.  How cutes is that?!


And the medallion is FAB is distressed turquoise, isn't it?






Here she is, complete!



I'll be linking up to Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage.

20 comments:

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Just fabulous!

Robin Johnson said...

I adore the color and the form of the chair- it's beautiful. The cute little pillow is perfect and I love, love the colors and pattern. Great job.

Jaimie said...

TURQUOISE = <3
That is a great chair!

Jess @ Floralshowers Craft Blog said...

the turquoise is fantastic!!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

The color is awesome. great pick.

Unknown said...

Is that Hobby Lobby fabric? Love it! How did you distress it? Can you tell me your little secret?? :)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

great choice of color! I have two chairs that are waiting to be finished. This give me more motivation to do it!!!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love the color! Painting a frumpy and dated piece in a bright and fun color is the best way to update a piece. Nice job!

cindy said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

momstheword said...

I love the bright, cheery color and the pillow looks so cute with it! Also love the hutch that you did for your dining room. You are very creative.

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

That chair came out great!

Jennifer Guire said...

I LOVE the color. I am still hoping to run into an awesome chair at my local thrift store...so jealous!!

Unknown said...

Ohhhh I LOVE it! Much prettier than just plain white (although I adore Heirloom White). That medallion needed something to make it pop and the aqua really did the trick. It's beautiful!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kimberly Knoess said...

Just found your blog at Shabby Chic Cottage! That is an incredible transformation. I think white would have been pretty, but not nearly as interesting as the turquoise. I would love to know what kind and color that paint is. I am inspired to find something to use it on.
I'll be back to your blog for more ideas!

Katie@Yoga Gal said...

Beautiful! I love the Tiffany blue. You did a great job!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I tend to always go for white too. Your blue was an excellent choice!

Mandy said...

Kim - the color was a mixture of a few "oops" that I had in the garage. I used a dark teal, a pale yellow and some cream until it was a color I liked. I look at the "oops" every time I'm in a hardware store so I always have plenty of options at home, but even so I end up mixing my own custom colors a lot of the time.
If you're looking for a turquoise, I'd just find a paint chip you like and have them mix one of those tiny sample jars for you - they're less than $3 and should be enough to paint a chair or a small table (as long as you prime first!)
Sorry I can't be more helpful than that!

stacey said...

that is just adorable!! i love it!

Holly Lefevre said...

Great color choice!

dmvoccola said...

I want that chair!

Related Posts with Thumbnails